Director, Tax Compliance and Reporting
- Responsible for the financial and regulatory accounting and reporting of taxes for a domestic natural gas utility.
- Partners with company leaders on strategies to minimize the company's tax burden in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Leads all federal and state income tax compliance and reporting obligations.
- Directs all income tax accounting and reporting for SEC and regulatory filings, keeping the CFO and Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer informed through quarterly analyses and presentations.
- Responsible for the reconciliation process of all tax accounts, including but not limited to, the tax basis balance sheet.
- Oversees the internal controls for federal and state income taxes, property taxes, and state and local transaction taxes.
- Advises senior management with respect to all aspects of the company's tax position.
- Identifies and assists with the development and implementation of tax planning strategies, including transfer pricing arrangements.
- Provides strategic consultation and advice on proposed transactions, business structures and operational/legal/tax structures in order to achieve optimal results.
- Assists in the design and implementation of such transactions and structures to ensure accuracy and compliance in the execution of adopted strategies.
- Monitors legislative changes in jurisdictions that may impact the company's tax positions, including tax accounting implications.
- Manages the franchise fee payments, as required.
- Assists Rates and Regulatory with tax support needed for rate case filings.
- Oversees changes to tax rates in the Banner system to ensure accuracy.
- Works closely with accounting and finance personnel to streamline processes, support the business needs and goals of the organization, and ensure accurate reporting and compliance in each jurisdiction.
- Proactively identifies, documents, and updates existing documentation and quantifies tax positions including any uncertain tax provisions in accordance with FIN 48.
- Responsible for maintaining and/or implementing tax compliance and provision information systems.
- Manages tax audits including examinations, representations, appeals and dispute resolutions in a timely and efficient manner.
- Works closely with compliance and reporting for stock-based compensation for tax and accounting purposes.
- Oversees the required property tax filings, payments, and annual negotiations.
- Oversees the required sales and use, unclaimed property and other indirect tax filings, payments, and accounting processes.
- Serves as an active and respected member of tax accounting and natural gas utility associations.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required in performance of job.
- Employee may be required to perform additional duties as assigned.
- Drives Engagement
- Drives Results
- Drives Vision and Purpose
- Manages Ambiguity
- Manages Complexity
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree accounting, finance, or related business field.
- Preferred Master's Degree taxation or related field.
- Experience with and thorough knowledge of tax and GAAP accounting principles and procedures.
- Experience interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions regarding the taxable ability of our processes or transactions.
- Experience monitoring and analyzing financial data, reports, audits, and regulatory publications for tax exposure areas or opportunities.
- Experience reviewing and interpreting applicable company policies and procedures, manuals, Internal Revenue Code and related regulations, FASB pronouncements, governmental regulations, rate case orders, publications, financial statements, contracts, reports, and correspondence.
- Experience interacting, advising, and communicating effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, lead, and delegate work assignments.
- Knowledge of personnel policies and procedures.
- Experience building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrated experience planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability of attracting and selecting the best talent to meet current and future business needs.
- Experience with application of algebra, statistics, and economic theory.
- Experience in use and function of computers and applicable software.
- Requires travel.
- CPA preferred.
- Mobility to travel in and around office facilities.
- Communicate and/or exchange information or instructions; conduct oral presentations.
- Visual abilities sufficient to perform job duties.