What’s happening everyone and welcome to our Halloween…ish episode of Weekend Plans in Tulsa & OKC. I say “ish” because Halloween isn’t officially until Tuesday, but you wouldn’t know that be looking at this events calendar!
Before we hop into the weekend, I thought I’d give you some time to get your calendar’s handy and mention how this podcast is possible. We’d like to give a big “thank you kindly” to OakTree Staffing & Training of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Whether you’re looking for your next promising career, looking to fill your team or looking to get that team quality Microsoft-certified training from absolutely anywhere, OakTree Staffing & Training has your back. You can learn more and reach out to them at www.oaktreestaffing.com. Ok, let’s hop in.
Starting in Tulsa with events happening all weekend and beyond, there’s definitely a spooky chill in the air.
– First is The Hex House. Based on the original real Hex House involved in a 1944 police investigation into a mysterious coffin found in the backyard of this house and many other unexplained phenomena in the area, put the Hex House on your list. You can learn more at www.tulsahexhouse.com.
– For a spooky outing for the entire family, HallowZOOween will be happening at the Tulsa Zoo all weekend long and beyond. Enjoy trick-or-treating in fun atmosphere as well as an assortment of games and activities. More info can be found at tulsazoo.org/boo.
– For Halloween fun during the day, bring out the kids to one of Oklahoma’s largest Halloween celebrations – the Boo Ha Ha on Brookside. It starts with a pancake breakfast, costume contest, a pet costume contest, and trick-or-treating. Learn more at brooksidetheplacetobe.com/events.
– If getting scared isn’t really your bag, the Tulsa Oilers will be playing the Allen Americans on the ice of the BOK Center on Friday and Saturday night. Learn more at www.tulsaoilers.com.
– To run off Saturday night, Sunday is the Tulsa Run. The events range from 2K to 15K and everything from fun runs, running, speed walking to wheelchair races and more. Learn more about it all at www.tulsarun.com.
– If you’re looking for some quality live music in Tulsa this weekend, treat yourself on Friday night to:
Maren Morris at the Brady Theater
The Stylees, Freak Juice, and more at Blackbird on Pearl
Cowboy Jones at The Colony
My So-Called Band at the Vanguard
Electric Rag Band and the Yawpers at Mercury Lounge
Paul Benjaman Band at Soul City
The Floozies at Cain’s Ballroom
ROAR at the Colony
K. Phillips at Mercury Lounge
Desi & Cody – Halloween
Paul Benjaman’s Sunday Nite Thing
Scott H. Biram at Mercury Lounge
The Lacs at Cain’s Ballroom
Moving down to Oklahoma City, we have events ranging from terrifying to “Hey, that’s pretty good.”
If you’re looking for terrifying or at least kind of spooky, enjoy The Sanctuary, a spooky destination you can learn more about at www.thesanctuaryokc.com,
FrightFest at Frontier City that you can learn more about at frontiercity.com/frightfest (if their website isn’t still broken by the time this episode airs),
and finally Haunt the Zoo for Halloween at the Oklahoma City Zoo with more information at okczoo.org.
– Nostalgic for the days of VHS tapes? Yeah me either, but the movies from those days will be celebrated this weekend at the “It Came from the VCR! Halloween Party at the Film Row District gallery. Learn more at vhsandchill.net.
– If you’re into costumes, but less on the scary side and more on the nerdy side, the Wizard World Comic Con is hitting Oklahoma City this weekend at the Cox Business Center. Feast your eyes on all of the awesomeness at wizardworld.com/comiccon/oklahoma-city or our handy shortened version: http://bit.ly/comicconokc
You can get your live tunes fix in OKC this weekend with Conor Oberst at the Criterion on Friday, Chase Rice at the Criterion on Saturday as well as Combsy – the critically-acclaimed solo project of Tulsa guitar whiz Chris Combs.
Just one more time, we would like to extend a big audio-hug to OakTree Staffing & Training in Tulsa, Oklahoma for their help with this show. Would you like an amazing new job? How about some amazing new employees or amazing Microsoft training for your amazing employees? OakTree Staffing & Training is the amazing company to make all of your dreams come true. Learn all about how they help you at oaktreestaffing.com. I’m Ken Lane and I hope you have a great weekend. Stay away from candy corn — that stuff is nasty.